Saturday 10 August 2013

Dogs

Okay blogging everyday is harder then I thought but I am gonna get better at this haha.

Well like my blog title says dogs, no I don't mean friends who back stab you (calling someone a dog never made sense to me since dogs are the most loving animals I have encountered) I mean the actual animal dog.

I got my Lagotto Romagnolo few weeks ago and she has already found a place in my heart. Shes the most beautiful dog and she makes my day brighter after hard days work.

I've been wanting a dog since late last year and it took me til now to finally get one. The first dog I had was a cross breed who we had got as a gift off a friend. She had a very hyper temperament but at the same time she was very loyal and affectionate, whenever you came home from work her tail would wag 700 times a minute and she has the happiest smile on her face. She was one of my best friends when I was younger, that's what I love about dogs, when you have one you never feel alone, they are like an ever faithful companion who would never leave your side. Unfortunately Bella did as I was at school she had ran away from home then got hit by a car which had made tears fall down my eyes and made me feel broken inside.

Its been more then 4 years since her passing away and I told myself I want to experience the joy of having another dog again and since I am older now she shall be taken better care of. Since my last dog was a cross breed which I didn't pick I decided I am gonna go for a pure breed which I will take into consideration whether I will be able to take care of her or not. First I thought of a dog I wanted when I was younger which was a Labrador. I was determined to get one but I forced myself to keep the idea in my head for at least a month (but that didn't stop me from talking to various breeders about the breed lol). I read a few articles on the Labrador and heard from a few owners and to my surprise they are a pretty high maintenance dog and you gotta consider a few things before buying one. Labradors shed alot, and by alot I mean alot, (their fur will actually stick to furniture, a lady told me her Labrador passed away 3 years ago and she still finds hair in the house), they get that really bad dog odor and they require alot of exercise else they get obese. My next breed of choice (which I am glad I didn't get when I think back to it) is the Labradoodle, which is a Labrador X Poodle which mainly got mixed to get rid of the Labradors hair shedding but keep the Labrador Temperament. If you ask about Labradoodles on a dog forum your gonna create alot of hot water! Cross Breeds are unpredictable, you won't know what your gonna get and its not garanteed a Labradoodle is not gonna shed or be smart. A guy on the forum suggested to me to get a Lagotto which I had never heard about so I investigated. The Lagotto Breed appealed to me alot, they were a non shedding water dog that was highly intelligent which is exactly what I wanted! The only flaw with this dog that was mentioned is its urge to dig (they are used for truffle hunting) and they have a high energy output (water dog trait). She is gonna be an inside dog I told myself and I am a high energy person myself so I will be able to exercise her easy. I made the choice and I never looked back.

The breed is pretty rare in Australia so it was pretty hard for me to find a good breeder (not some backyard breeding clown that just does it for money). I went on dogz.com.au and found one, it didn't take long to make a date to go see her and it was pretty much faith for me the way I see it. That day I went to see the breeder to talk about the breed and actually see the breed in person (which I hadn't done) I was pretty impressed with the way they looked and their temperament. They wern't shy at all like most dogs I've come across and they looked like your typical shaggy dog. The breeder told me a litter was just born yesterday and one white female is available (to my luck I wanted a female!) and I thought to myself this must be my future dog!

It was a long 8 weeks before I got her, her name is Lois and so far shes been a joy. Typical puppy behavior, I have been using positive reinforcement training so shes learning fast, her toilet training is going well and shes gotten so attached to me. We got so many years to have good times together!

To conclude, dogs all big and small have their benefits and flaws but they all got one thing in common, they need to be loved! It all started back when a wolf became stray from their pack and found refuge with cavemen who accepted the wolf as part of the family.
Dogs are social creatures and forever mans best friend.
Remember if your getting a dog that gotta stay in the backyard all its life, get a goldfish and SAY NO TO ANIMAL CRUELTY AND BACKYARD BREEDING



No comments:

Post a Comment